Welcome to my blog - a diary about living with donkeys, notes about care, my training sessions and the absolute pleasure of donkey companionship.


Leave a comment! Just click on Comments at the bottom of each post and a box will appear. If you have a question, I always respond!


Monday, August 24, 2015

Late summer

My broken shoulder is healing slowly, but here I am using two hands at the computer!  It's been a crazy experience ... pain, swelling, immobility, lack of sleep, frustration and .... the many gracious, kind and helpful offers of food and support from island folk.  It takes a community to mend a broken shoulder!

One of the bright spots has been shared clicker training sessions with a friend who is an experienced horse person, but fairly new to clicker training.  Bonus - she is also a physio!  As a keen student of positive reinforcement training, she has been coming over weekly and working with the donkeys and me.

Until last week, I could only participate by instructing and observing but not interacting with the donkeys directly.  Now though, I am able to do a bit more, although have had to tweak my handling skills in order to protect my sore shoulder.

I have learned SO much and have enjoyed having a buddy to work with.  Filming our sessions hasn't been possible but perhaps soon, as I would really like to capture some of our work. Even note-taking has been a challenge for me until recently but today's task is to make a training chart for each donkey.

Each of the four donkeys moves through lessons at a different speed and some are learning behaviours more suited to their individual personality.  For example, Rose LOVES to pick things up, so I have a few games that "feature" that particular behaviour.  More about that in another post.

In the meantime, here are some recent summer photos:

Gathering at the water bucket

















3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're finally starting to fell better and some good has come out of the misery. The girls all look sleek and lovely. looks like they've all lost a bit of weight:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! The donkeys are looking good, but lately they have been out on grass, very sparse, dry stuff but probably high in sugar - for about 1 hour per day. I balance this eating frenzy out with barley straw instead of hay for the rest of the day until 4 PM when thy get their mash + hay ... but even that small amount of grazing has put pounds on! VERY hard to manage, I find!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I've only just read about your shoulder Cynthia! Sending you speedy get well wishes and hope you are soon mended. What a terrible thing and so frustrating!

    The donkeys are looking marvellous :-)

    Big hugs (but not shoulder crunching ones!!) to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete