Welcome to my blog - a diary about living with donkeys, notes about care, my training sessions and the absolute pleasure of donkey companionship.


Leave a comment! Just click on Comments at the bottom of each post and a box will appear. If you have a question, I always respond!


Monday, August 4, 2014

Donkey Day #2

Yesterday we hosted our second donkey day for kids - this time for 7 - 11 year olds. I'm doing these open barn days this summer as a fundraiser for The Donkey Sanctuary of Canada and also as a way to introduce people, young and old, to the donkeys.

I set up an obstacle course yesterday with several of our "regular" challenges plus a new little teeter totter! The kids could lead a donkey through as long as they promised to encourage, not scold, use soft hands, no pulling, dragging or jerking.

I had my hands full with Siog, who seemed quite beside herself!  She's never quite sure about finding herself in a swarm of people and seemed rather anxious.  Although she was free to wander away (her choice) she stayed close but wanted to bop everyone with her nose, which some of the kids found scary so I snapped a lead rope onto her halter and kept her near me. 



It was a lot of fun and the kids were really great!   Lots of parents and grandparents too.  The next and final Donkey Day is on August 23rd for everyone 12 and over!






No comments:

Post a Comment