Welcome to my blog - a diary about living with donkeys, notes about care, my training sessions and the absolute pleasure of donkey companionship.


Leave a comment! Just click on Comments at the bottom of each post and a box will appear. If you have a question, I always respond!


Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Testing Hay

Yesterday, I tested 15 bales of 2013 hay from the load of 102 bales I just brought in.

Here is a photo of the simple equipment you need:

  1. a drill (electric works better than cordless for this)
  2. an extension cord so you can reach random hay bales
  3. a paper bag that stands open by itself, and, of course
  4. a hay probe sampler.  I am able to borrow this every year from the Ministry of Agriculture office. It attaches to the drill and has a clean out rod to push out the sampled hay into the bag.




In the hayloft!  I took samples from the butt ends of 15 bales.


And here's what the samples look like in the bottom of the paper bag. 


Next, I mix it all together, put the whole thing into a zip-lock bag, include a cheque and a submission form, downloaded from the A & L Canada Labs website,and mail via Expresspost!


I like the Comprehensive Equine Forage package as this is the test that will indicate non-structural carbohydrates, protein levels, as well as numerous other components.

Stay tuned for the test results!

No comments:

Post a Comment