Welcome to my blog - a diary about living with donkeys, notes about care, my training sessions and the absolute pleasure of donkey companionship.


Leave a comment! Just click on Comments at the bottom of each post and a box will appear. If you have a question, I always respond!


Monday, December 2, 2013

Brrrrr .....!

Getting colder and overnight lows are expected to dip to -7C  (or 19F)  Now that's cold for this part of the world and I've added a down vest under my coat! 

Wind, rain and/ or snow make it feel even colder and it's advisable to provide extra fiber in the form of low sugar hay or straw as equine stay warmer by digesting feed in their hind guts.  During the days, I am currently just feeding the regular amounts but it's overnight that I think I need to offer something extra.

So I just started filling four extra hay bags each with 0.5 - 1 lbs. hay.  Now, at about 9-9:30 PM,  I'm putting out eight hay bags in different locations in the barn and breezeway (for a total of 1.5 - 2 lbs of hay each) and also leaving 1 flake of barley straw divided in the feed troughs.  Hopefully this will last a wee bit longer!

They are also getting generous portions of soaked FiberMax pellets - 40% beet pulp + 60% soy bean hulls.  To this I add 1 - 2 teaspoons of plain white salt.

Oh and numerous buckets of warmish water!




1 comment: