Welcome to my blog - a diary about living with donkeys, notes about care, my training sessions and the absolute pleasure of donkey companionship.


Leave a comment! Just click on Comments at the bottom of each post and a box will appear. If you have a question, I always respond!


Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fabulous donkey day!

The school has started a new program, partnering with willing people in the community.  Kids get to choose from a wide variety of activities for one hour, once a week.  They're trying this for a month to see how it goes.  We have a small but enthusiastic group of kids interested in learning about equines, so yesterday, half of the group went to visit a Halflinger pony and the other kids came here, kindergarten and Grade Two as the school is wanting to mix up the ages.

Although there were only a few kids (just a grand total of 30 in the whole school!) I was wondering how we would manage with four donkeys.  My lovely 10-year old "assistant" plus one teacher were here also.  I wish I could have taken photos but the school has a policy about posting on-line without parental permission, so you'll just have to imagine the excited faces of the kids!

Luckily the rain let up and we were able to be outside.  We attached two lead ropes to the donkeys so that one child and one adult could lead a donkey together.  Siog was a bit wary at first and took herself a safe distance away but eventually came round to show off a bit over jumps.  She and Dorica were keen to demonstrate how they have learned to walk and trot on either side of me, turning around trees and doing figure eights, stopping when I ask them to, etc.

Rose and Heather are so friendly and the kids loved hugging them.  They learned some terminology and safety and we all had a great time.  When they had gone, Forrest and I took Rose and Heather on their longest hike yet, through a new trail.

Next week, we get to repeat the session with some of the older kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment